About Me

My photo
Sudbury, Suffolk, United Kingdom
I am a textile artist living on the Suffolk Essex border. I am a member of the Out of the Fold Textile Group and East Anglian Stitched Textiles (EAST)I am the Principal Tutor for Creative Stitch which offers courses in Creative Patchwork and Quilting and Creative Stitch Textiles. I teach each year at the Knitting & Stitching Shows and Festival of Quilts. I also offer workshops and talks to groups throughout the UK in person and via zoom.I am also a member of the QGBI and the specialist Contemporary Quilt Group and STARS (formerly Suffolk West Embroiderers Guild)

Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Natural Light


Natural Light (detail)

The theme for the Out of the Fold exhibition this autumn is 'Material Dialogues'

I am making a new series of work for the exhibition, inspired of course by the theme, but also by the venue which will be St. Margaret's Gallery in Norwich - a former church with a high ceiling, white walls, and a single glorious stained glass window.









Thinking about 'dialogues' I can imagine Christian worshippers of the past using this window as a way of opening up a conversation with God. 

There are lots of biblical quotes which refer to light and they are universally seen as positive.

Psalm 27.1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation"

That the light is reflected back through the window, casting a wonderful colourful array of light on the floor (and the viewer), is part of the two-way dialogue too.





Stained glass windows also tell stories, a way of communicating to the congregation before many could read. 

How can I tell a story, open up a dialogue, in my own response?

Textile materials come in a variety of weights, opacity and translucency. Some absorb light, some reflect, others shine and shimmer.

I want to try and capture these different reflective effects to create work filled with light, colour and JOY






Whilst sorting through my stash of materials I found some eco-printed silk. It shone and picked up the light so beautifully. 

Now in our more secular society people often cite a love of nature as a way of finding joy and a deeper meaning to life. Nature, and also art, are almost considered to be the new religion, to some.

So the series title 'Natural Light' is born.

Combining eco-printed silks with other materials designed to shine, reflect, absorb and gather light - to create contemporary stained-glass inspired hangings.

To be hung in St Margaret's Gallery so that the light from the windows can shine through



To see the final results, and the work of all twelve members of Out of the Fold, please visit the exhibition

Venue: St Margaret's Gallery, St Benedict's Street, Norwich

Dates: 23rd Sept - 4th Oct 2026

FREE entry  10.30 - 4.30 each day




 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment